Solyndra Cylindrical Module
Benefits of a Cylinder
Solyndra designs and manufactures proprietary cylindrical modules incorporating copper indium gallium diselenide (CIGS) thin-film technology. Our panels employ cylindrical modules which capture sunlight across a 360-degree photovoltaic surface capable of converting direct, diffuse and reflected sunlight into electricity. In the industry sometimes panels are referred to as modules; at Solyndra, each panel is made up of individual modules.
A Solyndra module starts in our front-end facility as a glass tube and passes through a complex, highly-automated manufacturing process and rigorous quality control before emerging as an encapsulated package ready to efficiently convert energy from the sun. There are approximately 23 steps to build and protect the 195 thin-film solar cells created in the manufacture of each module, encompassing cleaning, deposition, scribing, binning, insertion, filling, testing, panel framing and flash testing.
Each module in a 200 Series panel has 195 individual solar cells.The inner cylinder is protected by a liquid optical coupling agent (OCA) which serves as a moisture barrier and increases the active solar cell surface of the internal tube.
Each module is designed to produce electricity for more than 25 years in the harsh environment of the rooftop.The hermetic seal on our glass tubes ensure the CIGS material inside remains protected from contamination. Each tube is helium leak tested.
Solyndra’s factory has produced over 16 million modules and each day produces approximately 1000 panels or 40,000 modules ramping to more than 3000 panels a day in 2013.
Broader Shoulders: More Power During the Day
The tubular design of a Solyndra module is “self-tracking”. Collecting light around a 360 degree surface allows it to capture more light early and late in the day. with broader shoulders and less peak during the day. This consistent power generation during the day allows the use of a smaller inverter, saving costs and benefits the overall energy yield of a system over time.
Advantages with Snow and Soiling
Because of our unique design, light snow falls through the Solyndra panels and the panels actually benefit from the increased albedo (reflected light) from a fresh snowfall. Solyndra systems experience less system loss due to snow.
The cylindrical design attracts less dirt and airborne particles, and moisture or rain that lands or forms on the modules works to clean the cylinders. Research shows that energy loss due to soiling on Solyndra systems is approximately half of that for conventional flat panels.
Solyndra 200 Series: Fastest, Easiest to Install Rooftop Solar System
200 Series Solar Panel Mounts Require No Tools
Light weight and simple installation means fast projects and low cost. The 200 Series requires no tools for installation. The light weight panels install without penetrations or array grounding, making this the easiest and fastest-to-install rooftop solar system yet. Ideal for older or “value engineered” buildings, the low distributed roof load is 2.8 pounds per square foot. Snap together mounts dramatically lower labor costs and shorten project times for large rooftop solar installations. This minimizes business disruption and makes moving the system for future roofing, retrofit or ownership changes a simple process. Watch Video
Powerful Light Collection Technology
Improved light collection makes the 200 Series our most powerful panel yet, especially when combined with a white, “cool roof”. Individual panels are rated as high as 220Wp.
Low LCOE and Strong ROI
The ease of installation, low balance of system costs and power of the 200 Series provides low levelized cost of electricity and contributes to high returns on investment for the customer.
Cell Type Cylindrical CIGS
- Maximum System Voltage: Universal design 1,000V (IEC) & 600V (UL) systems
- Dimensions Panel: 2.28 m x 1.09 m x 0.06 m
- Height: 0.36 m to top of panel on mounts
- Mounts: Non-penetrating, steel-reinforced, high performance engineered plastic
- Connectors: 4 Tyco Solarlok; 0.20 m cable
- Series Fuse Rating: 24.4 Amps
- Roof Load: 13.9 kg/m2 (2.8 lb/ft2) panel and mounts
- Panel Weight: 31.8 kg (69 lb) without mounts
- Snow Load Maximum: 1,850 † Pa / 1,200 Pa (38.6 lb/ft2 / 25.1 lb/ft2)
- Hailstone Impact: 25 mm, 7.53 g at 23 m/s per IEC 61646
- Wind Performance: 208 km/h (130 mph) maximum self-ballasting with no attachments
- Operating and Storage Temp: -40˚C to +85˚C
- Normal Operating Cell Temperature: 44˚C at 800 W/m2 , Temp = 20˚C, Wind = 1m/s
- Certifications/Listings: UL1703, IEC 61646, IEC 61730,CE Mark, CEC listing, Protection Class II Application Class A per IEC 61730-2, Fire Class C, MCS/BRE(UK)
- Warranty: 25 year limited power warranty 5 year limited product warranty
Solyndra 100 Series
Solyndra 100 Series is the original Solyndra photovoltaic system comprised of panels and mounting hardware for low-slope, commercial rooftops. Ideal for weight constrained installations or with new white “cool” roofs. Solyndra’s panels come standard with all of the mounts, grounding connectors, lateral clips, and fasteners required to build a standard array.
- Lightweight and self-ballasting
- Fast, simple, and economical installation
- No penetrations or attachments required
- Maximum roof coverage with no need for tilting and spacing
- Greater coverage means more solar electricity per rooftop per year
- Cell Type: Cylindrical CIGS
- Maximum System Voltage Universal design: 1000V (IEC) 600V (UL) systems
- Dimensions Panel: 1.82 m x 1.08 m x 0.05 m
- Height: 0.3 m to top of panel on mounts
- Mounts: Non-penetrating, powder-coated Aluminum
- Connectors: 4 Tyco Solarlok; 0.20 m cable Series Fuse Rating 23 Amps
- Roof Load: 16 kg/m2 (3.3 lb/ft2) panel and mounts
- Panel Weight: 31 kg (68 lb) without mounts
- Snow Load: Maximum 2,400 Pa (50.1 lb/ft2)
- Hailstone Impact: 25 mm, 7.53 g at 23 m/s per IEC 61646
- Wind Performance: 208 km/h (130 mph) maximum, self-ballasting with no attachments
- Operating and Storage Temp: -40˚C to +85˚C
- Normal Operating Temperature (NOCT): Cell 41.7˚C at 800 W/m2 , Temp = 20˚C, Wind = 1m/s
- Certifications/Listings: UL1703, IEC 61646, CEC listing, IEC 61730, CE Mark, Fire Class C, Application Class A per IEC 61730-2
- Warranty: 25 year limited power warranty, 5 year limited product warranty
Solyndra Agricultural Solar Products
The rapidly expanding use of agricultural shelter structures in warm climates offers an exciting opportunity for greenhouse and shade structure rooftops to generate clean energy from the sun while optimizing plant growth. Greenhouses topped with Solyndra panels allow more light through than a traditional flat panel application and benefit from the light weight of the panels.
Benefits of Solyndra Greenhouse Applications
- Uniform overhead shading and lighting at crop surface
- Rapid installation, light construction
- Configurable, seasonal shading with addition of reflective cloth
- Quality construction, 20+ year life
Benefits of Agricultural Solar
- Dual land use
- Additional revenue stream for farmers
- Distributed power
- Tax incentives
- Reduced electricity bills
A Unique Application for Agricultural Greenhouses
Solyndra offers a solar application for agricultural greenhouse and shade structures that takes advantage of the ability of light to pass through Solyndra’s proven solar panel design. Installation of Solyndra’s unique solar panels on agricultural structures allows for dual use of land, and reliably supports existing agricultural practices, while generating considerable electricity. The Solyndra solution enhances plant growth by controlling shading and provides growers with an additional income stream and power for their operations. Research by renowned agricultural establishments, such as CeRSAA in Italy and the Department of Plant Sciences, University of California Davis, USA, has confirmed the superior nature of the panel design and their ability to support crop growth underneath while generating electricity.
Greenhouse manufacturers can easily integrate Solyndra panels onto the roof of a greenhouse or shade structure. Complete coverage with Solyndra panels maximizes energy output per acre and generates a uniform shading comparable to the light transferred through conventional shade structures or the process known as whitewashing. The cylindrical design of the modules enables them to capture sunlight and generate electricity from direct, diffuse and reflected light. Growers with Solyndra-enhanced greenhouses may add an optional shade cloth to protect plants that require more shade during certain months of the year. Using a white cloth also allows some of the light to reflect back onto the tubes thereby increasing the energy output of the system. A venting system at the gables can also be used, since air circulation is important for plant health.
“This product, which supports plant growth and provides both shade and a distributed power source is the best idea I have seen for what could ultimately be the ideal application of solar power – dual purpose agricultural-land use,” says Dr. Giovanni Minuto of CERSAA, a research center in Albenga, Italy, who has been evaluating the Solyndra system over the past year with a variety of plant types and under various weather conditions.
Test sites at prestigious agricultural research establishments like CeRSAA and the Department of Plant Sciences, University of California, Davis, have demonstrated that plants, such as nursery crops and ornamental flowers grow well in the partial shading provided by Solyndra systems.
While the use of Solyndra panels on agricultural greenhouses is relatively new, Solyndra solar panel technology has been proven in installations on more than 1000 commercial and industrial rooftops around the world. Panels come with mounting solutions and cable management systems, which are then integrated into greenhouse structures by leading manufacturers in Italy. Currently, multiple megawatts of agricultural installations are underway. Solyndra also offers a solution for the rooftops of large, flat agricultural warehouses and distribution centers.
Solyndra is working with leading greenhouse manufacturers, EPCs (engineering, procurement, construction) and banks in Italy. Interested growers and agricultural cooperatives should contact Solyndra to be put in touch with an integrator in their area.